Monday 10 March 2008

1930's Bits and Bobs

Firstly, thank you to everyone who sent kind messages about my flu. There seems to be a lot of sickness in blogland at the moment. I'm feeling a bit better but not great. Thought doing a new post would keep my mind of feeling yuck for a while!

When I was in Melbourne recently I saw some very cute Easter decorations that reminded me of little pincushions. Unfortunately, the price wasn't so cute so I made a note to myself to try and make my own.



I have used scraps of 1930's fabrics to make them - just drew around a scone cutter to get the circle shape. The buttons are from a collection that used to belong to my Nan.



Pink and green seem to be emerging as my dominant Easter colours.



Decided to get out my 1930' Butterfly quilt which I made a few years ago. It is based on a pattern called Butterfly Garden by Deborah Kitching of Quilters Cabin. The pattern was published in 1998 in a book called Country Best. As you can see it's simply nine patch blocks alternated with button hole appliqued butterflies.

This quilt is rather crudely handquilted. I didn't use a hoop - remember reading an article about Brigitte Giblin who's work I'd admired in Australian quilting magazines, which said she handquilted without one, so decided to give it a try. At the time I wasn't that impressed with my effort but now I quite like the rather naive/primitive look of it.


Molly came along for a look and I took quite a few nice photos of her including this one.

Here we have a not so refined 'bum shot' featuring Master Oliver.

While on the subject of Oliver I caught him 'hunting' in the garden earlier today. I thought he looked very cute amongst the greenery in his $2 Chickenfeed collar!.


I had lots of trouble uploading these photos today - kept getting server error messages. I was only able to load one picture at a time so you can imagine how long it took! Has anyone else had this problem?

A reminder to Catherine and Helz -I need your postal addresses so I can send out your giveaway prize. Hope all the other 'sickies' are feeling better.

26 comments:

  1. Those are some sweet little decorations...and they do look like little pin cushions. I think blogger has issues right now. Lots of people are having difficulty uploading pictures. I had to upload one at a time too! At least they are on there. Pictures make a post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very sweet little decorations...and your butterfly quilt..so nice, great bit of hand quilting...glad to hear you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to make those to easter decorations. And your butterfly quilt is georgious. I do not use a hoop when I quilt small things and it works ok for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute Easter decorations! What a great ides!

    Your butterfly quilt is wonderful - it really have captured the 30s feel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt and you are getting quite a easter decoration collection. I don't use a hoop to hand quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your feeling a bit better sweetie!! Love the decorations and the quilt is gorgeous!! I just had the same problem uploading, its annoying isnt it???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Easter tree. I've never made anything with the '30's prints. The Butterfly piece looks like an 'authentic' 1930 piece. Great job....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your butterfly quilt is fabulous -- love the overall effect!
    The little decorations for easter are wonderful -- they do look like little pin cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're feeling better...cute pin cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine, I just love that 30's quilt and really want to make one for myself. Love the pictures of your critters...very sweet. And the little pincushion decorations are perfect. I will have to make some of those for Christmas decorations to go in my sewing room. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this butterfly quilt is just adorable!
    I love those pincushions.
    good for you making your own, they are wonderful!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What cute Easter decorations! And the butterfly quilt is a good idea to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think they are just wonderful...I have one like that as a small pincushion brooch...and your butterfly quilt is so fresh and lovely!! Glad you are feeling better!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. love these sweet decorations and Mrs. Perkins too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Easter decorations are just so sweet looking. Love your butterfy quilt as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you're feeling better, Christine.
    Love the decoations, very sweet. Your butterfly quilt is lovely! I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christine, I am sharing the flu with you, I would much rather be sharing a quilting story. You photos are delightful, I had a hard time posting this morning too. Mrs Perkins is so cute, I hope you are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. perrine73Je ne parle pas anglais mais j'espère que tu comprendras. j'ai parcouru ton blog et j'adore ce que tu fais ! C'est magnifique =it's beautiful !
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, I love all of your 1930's goodies. The quilt is adorable and what a fun idea for the little hanging bobs. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute quilt you made there, very springy! Molly and Oliver are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your 30's bits and bobs!! How cute. Of course I love the modeling done by Molly and Oliver. I also have my boy modeling my newest creation. They are great aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your butterflyquilt is realy nice and the colours are perfect.
    I will live on a vacation for 14 days, starting on saturday. Sow I will be able to comment for a while.
    Happy easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to hear that you are recovering from illness.*S*
    and Wow, Those pincushions are so cute! I love the way you decorate Easter three. It's soooo pretty.
    Also your butterfly quilt is adorable. It looks really from 30's grandma's attic.*S*

    ReplyDelete
  24. The easter decorations are really sweet and yes they look just like the pincushions I made a few months ago. So versatile. Love the 30's butterfly quilt, so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Christine,
    An Easter tree.... mmm... differernt!! Your decorations look cute on it!! I actually made one of those decorations - the circle ones and use it as a pin cushion!
    Love your butterfly quilt too by the way!!
    Dont forget to put the Pay It Forward Challange in your blog :)
    x sarah

    ReplyDelete
  26. HI Christine
    Your little easter ornaments are gorgeous, well done, I love the 1930's fabrics.

    Have a great easter and enjoy your break

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your thoughts.

Christine